Monday, August 17, 2009

Rest Day





Wednesday, August 12, 2009

We’re resting today.

I walk and find a direction we haven’t taken yet. The village of St. Pierre is 3.7 kilometers away, and I want to see it.

One thing that surprised us was the amount of corn grown here (hello? Is this Ohio?) . We are truly in farmland. Huge farm equipment travels past our house. The narrow road and the big trucks means that the if I reached out my kitchen window when they pass I might be in danger of losing my arm.

I pass corn fields and wheat fields, now harvested and the straw baled and stacked sometimes twenty feet or more high. A woman walks out to the end of her drive holding a naked baby.

Cars pass, but not often. When they do, I move as far off the road as possible without getting in the ditch. Ditches are deep here, very deep. Some drivers move to avoid me, others see how close they can come without hitting me. I like most everything about France, but French drivers baffle me.

After more than two kilometers, just as I’m about to cross the main road, I see another sign for St. Pierre. I head in that direction (I think) but after awhile I realize I’m coming up on St. Remy. By the time I get back to St. Vincent I will have traveled in a circle. How did I go wrong? Well, I’ll have to save that walk for another day.




No comments:

Post a Comment